Hidden Water Leak Signs
Leaks can lay hidden within walls and ceilings and go unnoticed for a long time. Knowing the common signs of water damage can save you time and money. Some common warning signs of a hidden leak are:
- Peeling and Bubbling Paint
- Once drywall has absorbed too much water, the excess moisture will cause the paint to lift off from the drywall resulting in peeling or bubbling paint.
- Water trapped behind walls and ceilings eventually bleeds into the adjacent drywall. This is where and when a stain will occur. If you notice a stain growing larger over time it can be a sign of a hidden leak.
- Warped walls
- Sheetrock is highly absorbent material. After its structural integrity has become compromised drywall will become soft and weak resulting in wall warping.
- Warped and Buckled Floors
- Hidden leaks very often come from below flooring and behind walls. This can require complete replacement depending upon the material and can become costly to repair.
- Musty Odors
- Moisture in excess leads to mold and mildew if left untreated. Musty smells with no obvious signs of water or mold may be the result of a hidden leak.
- Visible Mold
- Mold can grow on virtually every surface. If there is visible mold, but no visible water anywhere, you may have a hidden leak that needs to be repaired.
The longer a leak goes unnoticed the more harm occurs to your home or business. Water leaks are serious regardless of if they are hidden or not. No matter the location of water damage it is important to reach out for assistance by an experienced remediation company as soon as a loss occurs.